PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of applying

01-28-2007, 06:12 AM
I am a Sgt. in Dade County and am thinking of applying. I pretty much know what I need to know accept for a few things. First I would like to work the Turnpike. What are the chances of getting the Pike? Also, how do pay increases work? My understanding is there is no pay steps. I assume its pretty easy to come accross offduty or overtime correct? There is a Trooper that I believe works troop "E" that used to work for Micosukee as a Sgt. and transfered to FHP. I would like to get a hold of him to ask him some questions. Anyone can help me or give me the info I need?

01-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Because you are already a certified officer, if you get hired (inveted to the academy), you will get a call telling you where would you be assigned and if you want it. You have the choice. Only newbies don't.
GO TROPPER!!!!!!!!! :D

01-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Good Lord!! Have you not been reading the posts about FHP on this site? Why in the world would you want to join FHP?

01-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Ok, now what's wrong with this picture. There's a guy that wants to leave his position as a supervisor at a big agency like Miami-Dade PD to go to FHP. WOW, that's like a no-brainer. FHP is ranked near the bottom of the payscale among the 50 state highway patrol and state police agencies.

Alright, I know that no place is perfect, maybe your tired of working in Miami-Dade county and need something different or maybe the county is in financial disaster and you are trying to get out while the gettin is good. Either way, you could do so much better than going to FHP which not only is poorly paid, like poverty level, but like most state LEO agencies here, you will probably have to rely on details to make ends meet.

Hey "WONDERING", wake up and smell the coffee because it definetely is not brewing at FHP for sure!!!

P.S. I will say many thanks for all those that do want to be state troopers but until this state gets their act together and gives FHP the modern facelift that it needs there will always be the stigma that haunts FHP to this day.

01-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Well said Here to save the day...Being a state trooper is a great job, just not in FL. I have been on with FHP for a few years now and I didnt even break the $39,000 mark last year. This is even with $2500 in OT and the whopping $960 a year for my college degree. This job is great for some 21 year old kid with nothing under his belt but a high school diploma and a couple years working at Walmart. If you have anything over that then you are only hurting yourself by applying with FHP.

Go get a real job and wait until the state of Florida pulls its head out of its @$$ and starts giving troopers what they deserve. Maybe then you can apply....if hell has not frozen over by then.

01-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I see what you mean! BY the way, its the City of Miami not Miami Dade PD. The higher ups are running this place down. The moral has never been lower. We keep loosing people. Maybe I will try to stick it out. But that should show you how bad things are here if people are willing to give up money and go to a less paying job just to have piece of mind and be happy.

02-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I see what you mean! BY the way, its the City of Miami not Miami Dade PD. The higher ups are running this place down. The moral has never been lower. We keep loosing people. Maybe I will try to stick it out. But that should show you how bad things are here if people are willing to give up money and go to a less paying job just to have piece of mind and be happy.

Nothing is different at FHP. We have complete morons that we call SGTs, LTs, Capts, and Majors.